YouTube is by far the most popular video hosting platform.
But lately many users feel the platform is shifting its focus on maximizing profits from user-generated content.
Besides, too many restrictions on the nature of videos that can be uploaded and accessed and strict content guidelines have forced many to look for YouTube alternatives.
In this article, we have gathered some of the best video sites for you to try.
Vimeo is the go-to video site to watch and host high-quality creative content.
The platform is used by businesses, musicians, photographers, video makers, and other professionals.
Vimeo isn’t the right place for those searching for animal and TikTok-like videos.
Vimeo is one of the best platforms to make extra cash for content creators.
Comparing Vimeo and YouTube, it can’t be denied that Vimeo has a better interface.
Vimeo is also unique because it’s ad-free.
The video platform comes with several features to manage, promote, and track the progress of the videos.
- The ability to customize the video player to give it the color, look, and controls that you want.
- Strong privacy and security features with domain-level privacy. The platform also offers password protection features.
- The capability to optimize the video with a custom video URL address.
- You can host high-quality videos up to 4K resolution.
- On Vimeo, you can collaborate with video makers and markets. The platform has a small but active community that helps in video production and marketing.
- Vimeo also has a strong helpdesk service.
- On the Vimeo platform, you can live stream content and also upload 360-degree videos.
- Vimeo video platform can be accessed on Fire TV, PS4, Chromecast, Xbox One, macOS, Windows, Android, and more.
Once touted as an alternative to Dailymotion and YouTube, Metacafe has managed to stay relevant.
It’s a good platform to upload short clips that entertain the viewers. One of the most under rated video sites, if you ask me.
Pranks, cat videos, bloopers, and curated content are popular on the platform.
The video platform receives millions of viewers every day.
Like YouTube, Metacafe can be used to create brand awareness and boost conversions.
The features in Metacafe promote easy sharing of the content with friends.
The platform is best suited for marketing by niche industries such as electronics, telecommunications, food, and entertainment.
Users will find plenty of DIY, review, and unboxing videos.
- Metacafe allows users to create channels, playlists to organize content, and image galleries.
- Metacafe is a place to easily find and watch the latest and top trending videos on the internet.
- Users can view and comment on videos from channels they have subscribed to.
- Metacafe is a good video platform to watch short videos.
- The platform allows unlimited uploads and easy customization.
- Users can share videos on the web and all popular social media platforms.
Dailymotion is 2nd pick if you’re asking me about the best video sites.
Like YouTube, Dailymotion has a clear, intuitive, and user-friendly interface.
The platform allows users to categorize videos, create playlists, and download the content they like.
The video hosting platform receives anywhere between 150-200 million visitors each month.
Video content of all types and niches is hosted on this video platform.
Dailymotion limits the duration of the video uploaded to 20 minutes. Users can upload video content of any resolution up to 1080p.
Unlike YouTube, Dailymotion does not compress the video content.
The video hosting platform also provides embed code for the videos to allow the users to display the content on any webpage.
- Dailymotion is a video platform for hosting entertainment, music, sports, DIY, news, and other short-form videos.
- You can use the library feature to save your favorite video content.
- The homepage displays the best and latest trending videos.
- The speech search engine algorithm and HTML5 video player enhance the viewing experience.
- Dailymotion is supported in platforms such as PlayStation, Xbox, Android TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, iOS, and Android.
Searching for the next big idea in your industry? Want to know the latest trend from the industry experts? The TED video platform is the place to be. TED slowly but surely made it’s way in our best video sites list.
Users will find videos on a wide range of topics including entertainment, design, technology, and business.
The video platform features conferences, seminars, and speeches from all around the world.
The video platform contains over 3600 videos. The videos are available in Spanish, English, and various other languages.
For those looking for knowledge content, TED is on par with YouTube.
The video content on TED will inspire, motivate, guide, and rejuvenate your thought process.
The platform is run by a non-profit media organization.
This is one video platform that everyone must know and follow.
- The video content on the platform deals with important subjects in a non-partisan manner.
- TED contains videos, podcasts, and books on several topics.
- The videos are well-organized, easy to sort, and of high sound and video quality.
- All recent videos of speeches and seminars from around the world are uploaded immediately.
- TED contains thousands of videos that’ll boost your knowledge, understanding, and change your life forever.
IGTV (Instagram TV) is a rising star that’s giving a tough fight to YouTube.
This video platform allows users to upload vertical, long-form videos; content up to an hour-long.
The platform is more particularly for hand-held device (mobile and tablet) users.
Although IGTV videos can be viewed only on Instagram and IGTV app, video makers can upload content from desktop or laptop computers.
On the Instagram and IGTV app, you can browse channels or search for videos on topics of interest.
Instagram has nearly a billion users and an active user base.
With IGTV, businesses can reach a large audience without spending much.
For content creators, IGTV offers a great opportunity to earn revenue from their videos.
No doubt, IGTV is probably the best YouTube alternative in our video sites list.
- IGTV supports both short-form and long-form videos.
- IGTV content is also available to users of the Instagram app.
- The user-friendly interface gives easy access to the latest trending video content.
- The powerful search algorithm allows users to find videos on their favorite subject in an instant.
- Video creators just need a smartphone to shoot videos for IGTV.
In the past few years, we’re seeing more and more video posts on Facebook.
It’s no secret that videos perform better than other forms of content.
Nearly 70% of marketers agreed that video content performed better. Furthermore, compared to other Facebook content types, the engagement potential of live videos is 10x times higher.
Facebook is shaping itself as a serious destination for video lovers.
The social media giant provides excellent tools to showcase and promote video content.
The company also has a separate video-on-demand service called Facebook Watch for top video creators and content producers to showcase exclusive original programming.
- Video content is available in all possible categories and major languages.
- Supports high-resolution, 360-degree, and live streaming videos.
- Facebook provides tools for video creators to search and target the right audience.
- It’s incredibly easy to share videos with friends and family.
- Users can also save their favorite videos.
The gaming industry is spending billions of dollars every year on marketing. This move is in response to the growing demand for gameplay videos.
Gaming channels are one of the fastest-growing segments on YouTube.
Are you a gaming fan looking for an alternative for YouTube? Twitch is a video platform that focuses exclusively on gaming and e-sports videos.
Users can broadcast their videos live or also uploaded prerecorded content.
Twitch also offers talk shows, TV shows, and more.
You can use other features such add friends and chat to engage the viewers.
Gamers using PlayStation and Xbox can add suitable software to upload gaming videos directly to Twitch.
Twitch is the best video platform for video game and e-sport enthusiasts.
- Gamers can engage with other gamers and also share tips and other useful information.
- Twitch allows gamers to chat with others using the chat feature.
- Users get free access to the latest and high-quality gaming videos.
- Like YouTube, users can find videos in various categories.
- Twitch gives access to live gameplay of top games such as GTAs, PUBG, Free Fire, Minecraft, and more.
D.tube is one of the earliest attempts at creating a video platform using Blockchain technology.
The videos uploaded on D.tube are not stored in large Google servers.
Instead, the company uses IPFS protocol to send the multiple segments of the uploaded video to be stored on computers that make up the blockchain.
Another reason D.tube has an edge over YouTube is that the Blockchain video platform is entirely free.
Video content creators and registered users are rewarded with cryptocurrency for uploading videos and engagement through likes, comments, etc.
Since D.tube is powered by a more secure technology learning to use the platform might take some time.
D.tube is already increasing in popularity fast with more than 200,000 registered users and 2 million unique visitors every month.
A new video is uploaded on D.tube every three minutes.
- D.tube has a YouTube-like interface for easy navigation.
- D.tube offers ad-free video streaming.
- Users can share videos on the Steemit social media platform.
- Decentralized storage offers better security and privacy.
Odysee is another video platform that uses blockchain technology to store videos.
Launched in 2020, the video platform has seen tremendous growth amassing 122 million users in just a few months.
Definitely the rising star entry in our video sites article.
The blockchain used by Odysee was built using the LBRY protocol.
Users can access the video platform from their computer browser. An alternative method is to use the LBRY app on iOS, Android, macOS, and Windows devices.
Odysee offers LBRY credits to content creators and users for their referrals.
Users also get LBRY credits for email verification, views, and more.
Odysee is a good choice for those worried about censorship on YouTube.
Another interesting point is Odysee is ad-free.
The platform contains videos on a wide range of topics, industries, and categories.
Only users with a minimum of 10 wallet credits can upload videos on the platform.
- Odysee is one of the fastest-growing video platforms.
- The platform using blockchain technology to store uploaded video content.
- Odysee allows content creators to monetize their videos.
- Users also earn credits for recruiting members, email verification, views, etc.
- Odysee is free to join and it’s also ad-free.
Another name that comes to mind when the topic of YouTube alternatives is discussed is Veoh.
Users can watch movies, songs, TV shows, and user-generated content for free.
Veoh offers unlimited upload which makes it a perfect platform to watch long-form videos.
Users don’t have to register or sign in to view videos on the platform.
Similar to YouTube, Veoh offers a clean and user-friendly interface.
Users will find it quite easy to navigate through the categories and search results.
Veoh also allows the users to create groups, add contacts, send direct messages, and interact with forums.
All this makes it a decent option in our video sites list.
- Veoh is an ideal video platform to watch movies and long-form video content.
- The platform has a clean user interface and a powerful search engine.
- Veoh also provides several social networking features.
- The video platform permits uploads of unlimited length.
None of the video sites in this list is even close to replacing YouTube.
That said a single platform monopolizing the video hosting industry isn’t good for anyone.
Having YouTube alternatives will benefit everyone.
It’ll give businesses multiple avenues for video marketing.
Plus, consumers of video content will have more options to choose from.
Cristian Stanciu is a freelance video editor, owner, and post-production coordinator of Veedyou Media – a company offering video editing services to videographers, marketing agencies, video production studios, or brands all over the globe.