The news of YouTube canceling the customary ‘rewind’ video this year invoked mixed reactions.
Considering what everyone has gone through, we all agree, this was the right thing to do.
The year is almost over. Even though it didn’t pan out as we all expected, it gave us so many things to think about.
That said now is the time to plan for a better future for everyone. For that purpose, we have to revisit 2020.
We’ll keep our discussion restricted to YouTube alone. The video platform made the pandemic lockdowns bearable.
It also provided a way for businesses to entertain and engage with their target audience.
Video marketing in 2021 will look a lot different than the previous years.
To succeed, your video marketing strategy must rest on a strong foundation build with credible statistics.
After days of research and analysis, we have compiled the most relevant YouTube statistics that’ll play a huge role in your 2021 video marketing campaign.
The YouTube User, Usage, and Preference Statistics
A staggering amount of video content is uploaded online every day; much of it is on YouTube.
While there are other video content hosting and sharing platforms and several video streaming sites for movies and TV shows, YouTube is by far the biggest repository of video content.
While other social media platforms claim to have millions of users, YouTube deals in billions.
(1) The latest YouTube data shows that the video platform has more than 2 billion active users every month.
(2) More than 30 million people visit YouTube every single day.
(3) On YouTube, users consume over 1 billion hours of videos every day.
YouTube videos have become a staple for much of the internet-using public.
(4) More than 50% of YouTube’s user base visits the platform at least once a day.
High-speed internet and smartphones have increased access to videos. This is reflected in the YouTube user data.
(5) Over 70% of the video views on YouTube come from mobile users.
(6) On average, each YouTube user spends 11 minutes 24 seconds watching videos on the platform.
(7) Each user visits on average 6.7 pages on the platform every day.
YouTube isn’t just the best place to watch videos; it’s also the best platform for content creators to share their visual creations.
Moreover, the YouTube Partner Program incentivizes the creation of quality content.
(8) Every minute, over 500 hours of video content is uploaded to YouTube.
With so much content, it’s no wonder that people are ditching traditional TV content services for YouTube.
(9) In February 2019, users selected YouTube as the second most-preferred platform for video content on TV.
(10) In 2019 alone, YouTube witnessed a 39% increase in users accessing the video platform on TV screens.
(11) If the current trend continues, by 2025, over 50% of the young population (under 32 years) will unsubscribe from their pay-TV services.
The Must-Know YouTube Marketing and Advertising Statistics
Video creators – personal, professional, or business-related – have one primary goal in mind; to capture the attention of the audience.
No other content type does this better than video content.
A combination of visual media, sound, text, and graphics can help communicate any concept in a way that everyone understands.
(12) Consumers are 3 times more likely to watch YouTube tutorial videos than reading text instructions.
(13) Consumers say they retain 95% of the information gathered from videos.
(14) How-to videos, vlogs, and product reviews are among the top video types that users search on YouTube.
The increase in video consumption has coincided with the rise in popularity of video marketing and YouTube.
For most marketers, YouTube is synonymous with video content. You’ll find the following statistics reaffirms this belief.
(15) 80% of all marketers believe that YouTube is the most effective video marketing platform.
The arrival of competing video hosting platforms hasn’t dented YouTube’s popularity among marketers.
We are seeing businesses ready to spend more on YouTube video marketing.
(16) The Q3 (of 2020) spending on sponsored videos on YouTube shows a 40% increase compared to the previous two quarters.
The report also suggests that business spending on sponsored videos is at an all-time high.
This dispels the rumors that a surge in spending indicates that businesses are rebounding from the COVID effect.
The truth is that the spending data from the third quarter isn’t a fluke.
We are seeing a steady increase in sponsorship videos quarter-over-quarter and year-over-year.
(17) The top spenders on sponsored video ads doubled investment in the second quarter, which was the period most countries enforced the pandemic lockdown.
(18) The spending on sponsored video ads jumped from (approx.) $8million to $17million from Q1 to Q2.
(19) Furthermore, doubling the investment in video ads increased the views 4 times during the same period.
(20) Businesses are gradually shifting video marketing from TV to YouTube because 6 out of 10 people prefer online video content to the TV.
(21) Research also shows that advertisements on YouTube are 84% more likely to engage viewers than television ads.
(22) For businesses, YouTube is the 2nd best place to post their videos.
(23) Nearly 50% of video marketers say they’ll invest in YouTube marketing.
Businesses and marketers are only echoing the sentiments of the general public.
As the following statistics will show more than before consumers are relying on YouTube to learn about products/services and make buying decisions.
(24) YouTube comes second in the list of digital channels with the most influencers on buyers.
(25) More than 66% of consumers agree that watching product videos inspires them to become buyers.
(26) 7 out of 10 buyers say they are willing to learn about brands through YouTube videos.
How Are Businesses Using YouTube?
Since anybody can share their video on YouTube, we’re seeing a deluge of visual content on the platform.
For businesses to differentiate and stand out with creative content a solid strategy and a good deal of hard work is essential.
Understanding how some brands with deep pockets are using YouTube can guide a million others on developing an effective video marketing strategy.
In 2007, YouTube permitted the use of advertisement on its platform.
Today, businesses are spending billions of dollars each year on YouTube to marketing their brand. The numbers are only increasing.
The following statistics will show how, where, and when businesses are spending on YouTube:
(27) 46.23% of the sponsored videos is aimed at creating brand awareness. This was closely followed by 43.38% of videos that aimed to advertise ‘limited time offer.’
(28) The most popular CTAs used in marketing campaigns are ‘Click Link in Bio’ (used 45.56% of the time) and ‘Direct Purchase Page’ (used 45.31% of the time).
YouTube only rewards channels that make an effort to produce quality and engaging content with advertisement privileges.
The video platform had introduced the Partnership Program for quality content creators to monetize their videos using ads.
(29) According to the Huffington Post, YouTube has over 50 million channels in its Partnership Program.
In 2021, we may also see the trend of businesses continuing to rely on YouTube influencers to market their brand.
On YouTube, influencers are as good as celebrities in influencing the audience buying decisions.
(30) Data from the third quarter of 2020 shows the tech industry as the top spender on sponsorship videos on YouTube.
Of the many content types, brands seem to prefer integrated video, where YouTube influencers include the brand/product/service into their video and incorporate the brand’s message.
(31) Data from Q1 and Q2 of 2020 shows that 48.04% of the sponsored videos were integrated video types.
(32) Analyzing the thousands of sponsored video ads on YouTube, it was found, the average length of a video to be 40 seconds.
Understanding Demographics Statistics to Improve YouTube Performance
Now, brands and marketers understand that authentic content that is transparent and speaks to the target audience results in marketing success.
Customizing video content to connect and communicate effectively with the audience will be the key to video marketing in 2021.
People connect with people who speak like them, use the same terms, share the same values, and have the same likes, dislikes, and preferences.
Hence, it’s vital to understand the demographics of the target audience to personalize the video content for them.
Learning into the style and tone the audience wants to hear and injecting your unique offering from the very first video will attract more eyeballs, lead to increased engagement, and build loyalty with the audience.
Here are some YouTube demographics statistics that might interest you:
(33) Millennials consume around 67% of video content on YouTube.
(34) More than 74% of GenZ (between 8-15 years old) use the video platform.
The data shows that ‘how-to’ content is quite popular among the Millenials.
(35) More than 66% of the Millenials believe they can find a how-to video for almost anything on YouTube.
(36) YouTube is the go-to choice for most businesses because in the United States more than 90% of the people in the 18 to 44 age group have accessed the video platform.
The online video-sharing platform isn’t just for the young. The latest statistics reveal that YouTube is also popular among the elderly.
(37) During an average month, 95% of the people above 55 years who have access to the internet use YouTube.
As a marketing platform, YouTube doesn’t benefit businesses in the United States alone.
YouTube is now a universal platform serving the needs of viewers and businesses all over the world.
(38) The video platform can be accessed by users of over 100 counties in 80 different languages.
(39) The United States contributes only 15% of the total traffic to YouTube.
Here is another interesting statistic that makes a case for personalized content.
Brands and marketers looking to promote a product or service to customers in non-English speaking countries have much to gain from hosting their videos on YouTube.
(40) Only 33% of the most popular videos on YouTube are in English.
Brands can also reach different linguistic groups by adding captions (subtitles) in different languages.
The Popularity of YouTube Videos on Google Search Page
Google search engine users are likely to encounter more YouTube videos on the search results page than from other sources.
In June, this year, a Wall Street Journal article reported a strong advantage YouTube videos have on Google compared to other platforms.
To test the validity of the finding Moz carried out their research with more than two million search terms.
Although we all have seen more YouTube videos pop up on the search page, the following statistics show how dominant the video platform is:
(41) After 2.1 million searches, YouTube videos appeared 94.2% time on the top three carousel positions.
In ‘How-to’ video searches, YouTube increases its dominance despite the competition from niche platforms such as HGTV.
(42) Research of 45,000 ‘how-to’ videos shows that YouTube videos appear 97-98% of the time on the first three carousel slots.
The staggering numbers raised a pertinent question of whether the researchers picked a seasonal trend or an unusual day for research.
To dismiss any such doubt, they compared YouTube’s performance on the first day of each month of 2020, from January to October.
The researchers found YouTube’s dominance wasn’t a one-off performance.
(43) YouTube maintained a steady dominance across 2020; occupying the top three slots on Google 92-95.3% of the time.
On YouTube, every business and marketer faces a twin challenge – a fast-changing field and increasing competition.
Marketing using video content might be an old concept – over 60 years old, but YouTube marketing is still relatively a new and evolving field.
The reduction in video production costs and the arrival of affordable video editing tools has made the once expensive video marketing accessible to all.
Plus, the advent of high-speed internet and smartphones means marketers can now reach their target audience anytime and anywhere with video content.
So, with the help of these YouTube statistics, you can develop a video marketing plan that’ll withstand challenges and make 2021 a roaring success.
Cristian Stanciu is a freelance video editor, owner, and post-production coordinator of Veedyou Media – a company offering video editing services to videographers, marketing agencies, video production studios, or brands all over the globe.